ActivNatal Labour TENS - drug-free pain management
During pregnancy, labour and after childbirth
PLUS abdominal and pelvic floor muscle strengthening
- Aches and pain relief, during or after pregnancy
- Pre-labour and early stage labour preparation
- Obstetric TENS pain relief*
- Pain relief after C-section
- Re-strengthening pelvic floor muscles
- Exercise to re-strengthen the abdominal sheet muscles and help repair separation, if any
Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) listing number #174871
Modes of operation and electrode placement
- RELIEVE - Site of pain or same dermatome
- LABOUR - Either side of lumbar spine
- EXERCISE - Pelvic floor or abdominal muscles
A detailed specification is available here.
LABOUR mode is a strong TENS stimulus, i.e. a constant frequency at 50 Hz, with maximum output 60 volts, in 30 * 2 volt increments.
When your labour pains become intense and close together, you select LABOUR mode and ride the wave of each contraction by increasing the intensity to your desired level. You are in control.
We supply a pendant attachment so you can wear the device around your neck, move when you want to - and generally benefit from an active labour.
Electrodes are placed either side of the spine - usually at the bottom of the lumbar region but you can position them slightly higher for variation.
Pre-labour preparation with TENS
Use RELIEVE mode before you leave home for the hospital or birthing centre. It will help to release the body's natural well-being hormone beta-endorphin and help you to benefit from a relaxed birthing experience.
Electrodes can be placed on the lower back.
During pregnancy and after childbirth
ActivNatal has been designed for antenatal and post-natal use, as well as labour pain use. In one small, compact unit we have included electrotherapy functionality, to help mothers cope with some of the painful issues surrounding their pregnancy, and in that critical post-natal recovery period. The RELIEVE mode may be used as part of a pain management plan during and after pregnancy; for example:
- Breast pain
- Low back pain
- Aching legs - circulation
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
Electrodes are placed at the site of the pain or on the same local area; muscles must not twitch.
DO NOT place electrodes on your abdomen during pregnancy.
We have included an EMS mode designed for muscle exercise e.g.:
- Strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor (after pregnancy)
- Rehabilitating the abdominal sheet muscles - helping to repair any separation that may have occurred during pregnancy and re-establishing muscle tone
Six to eight weeks after childbirth your doctor will probably give you the "all clear" to resume normal physical activity. This is the time you may commence rehabilitating your abdominal sheet and pelvic floor muscles.
Place one small electrode on the perineum, i.e. the surface area between the anus and the vulva. Place one large electrode over the sacrum, i.e. the large, triangular bone at the base of the spine and above the coccyx.
Place the electrodes above and below the centre of the abdomen OR place electrodes either side of the abdominal centre line.
ActivNatal Technical Specification
- 30 intensity settings
- Maximum output of 60 volts
- Bi-phasic square wave signal
- Pulse width of 200 micro seconds
- Modulation period less than 1 second
- RELIEVE mode - 10 to 50 Hz, no surge
- LABOUR mode - constant 50Hz, no surge
- EXERCISE mode - 10 to 50 Hz, 6 seconds ON and 12 seconds OFF
Easy to operate
30 intensity settings
Weighs only 25 gms
Wear while mobile
24 month warranty
Local customer service