Hands, fingers, shoulder, spine, hip, knees and other joints
When people say "arthritis" they usually mean Osteoarthritis - but please note, there are many other forms of arthritis and you should ensure adequate diagnosis.
What Is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Cartilage is the connective tissue found at the end of the bones in the joints. It protects and cushions the bones during movement. When cartilage deteriorates you may feel pain and stiffness and be less able to perform daily activities.
Osteoarthritis appears at various joints throughout the body, including the hands, feet, spine, shoulders, hips and knees.
Osteoarthritis is considered a “wear and tear” disease because the cartilage in the joint wears down with repeated stress and use over time. As the cartilage deteriorates and gets thinner, the bones lose their protective covering and eventually may rub together, causing pain and inflammation of the joint.
An injury may also lead to osteoarthritis, but may not develop symptoms until years later.
Some patients with osteoarthritis also develop a bone spur (a bony protrusion) at the affected joint. Bone spurs can also limit the movement of the joint.
ActivBody TENS therapy
After a diagnosis of osteoarthritis, your pain management plan will include several methods of pain relief and should offer drug-free options.
ActivBody is the physical therapy product we suggest for chronic osteoarthritis pain and stiffness.
ActivBody electrotherapy can be used everyday - outside the clinic - for drug-free, on-demand pain relief, reduced stiffness and mobilization of joints. In this way, it will help keep you moving and leading a more active life.
- RELIEVE mode:
- Fast and lasting pain relief (modulated low and high frequency TENS; continuous, comfortable intensity)
- Circulation and reduced stiffness (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
- BLOCK mode:
- Fast acting pain relief (modulated high frequency TENS for pain gating effect)
- Release of serotonin, if applied for long enough
- RELAX mode
- Lasting pain relief (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Relaxation (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Circulation (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
Pad placement - osteoarthritis pain
Please also see the Pain Menu for other locations