Mild stimulation is all that is needed to open cell walls
This improves the supply of oxygen, protein and nutrients, while eliminating excess fluid, dead cells and scar tissue
Electrical cell stimulation (ECS)
The over-riding purpose of cell membrane stimulation is repair of musculoskeletal damage, including:
- Improved overall circulation
- Improved local blood circulation, oxygen and nutrient availability
- Elimination of waste fluid, reduction of swelling and inflammation
- Break-down and removal of scar tissue
- Maintaining or increasing the range of joint movement
If the patient is immobile, cell activity may be induced through massage, stretching or through electrical stimulation. Electrical stimulation can be applied outside the clinic on a daily basis.
How it works
The application of electrical stimulation (or electrotherapy) can supplement or replace the natural occurring action potential of sensory and motor nerves, cell membranes and muscle fibre.
At the appropriate pulse frequency and width, externally applied electrotherapy disturbs the ionic balance across excitable membranes, stimulating nerves, muscles and cells.
A program of passive or active muscle stretching fulfills a similar role - maintaining cell activity around the injury site without undue strain on damaged tissue.
Stretching and electrical stimulation can be used in combination for additional benefit.
More sustained cell activity leads to better results.
To aid injury recovery
Over recent decades many medical research studies have revealed that inactivity of the body:
- slows the metabolism
- inhibits healthy levels of cell membrane activity
- holds back injury recovery and healing times
However, sometimes it is necessary to rest an injury - to avoid pain and further damage.
Under these circumstances compromised electrical activity can be supplemented with externally applied electrical stimulation, by using a SportsMed or SportsMed PRO product.
This will help to maintain normal levels of electrical activity, therefore circulating blood effectively and bringing adequate supplies of oxygen and nutrients to the site of the injury.
The many benefits of SportsMed Recover mode include:
- Increased cell activity - to aid rapid repair
- Reduced muscle soreness after strenuous activity
- Circulation of blood, oxygen, peptides and other nutrients
- Reduced oedema (swelling)
- Removal of waste material and toxins, e.g. after bruising, pain related chemicals
- Reduced joint stiffness - by breaking down scar tissue
Electrodes are placed on either side of the injury.
For settings and treatment times follow the program guidelines in the User Guide or the Treatment Times page of this website.
Accumulated clinical research shows that regular electro therapy treatment approximately halves the time required to repair a soft tissue injury.
Wholesale discounts apply
ECS example results
The effect of ECS on viable cell numbers; application is bone tissue regeneration.
Results day 1 through day 7.