Osteoarthritis - chronic in jury
Causes of chronic elbow pain
Elbow pain may occasionally be due to osteoarthritis, but in general, your elbow joint is much less prone to wear-and-tear damage than are many other joints.
Osteoarthritis of the elbow occurs when the cartilage surface of the elbow is damaged or becomes worn. This may be the result of degeneration of the joint cartilage due to age.
But chronic pain can also occur because of a previous injury such as elbow dislocation or fracture.
ActivBody TENS therapy
After a diagnosis of osteoarthritis of the elbow, your pain management plan will include several methods of pain relief and should offer drug-free options.
ActivBody is the physical therapy product we suggest for chronic elbow pain.
ActivBody electrotherapy can be used everyday - outside the clinic - for drug-free, on-demand pain relief and easing stiffness in your elbow joint.
- RELIEVE mode:
- Fast and lasting pain relief (modulated low and high frequency TENS; continuous, comfortable intensity)
- Circulation and reduced stiffness (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
- BLOCK mode:
- Fast acting pain relief (modulated high frequency TENS for pain gating effect)
- Release of serotonin, if applied for long enough
- RELAX mode
- Lasting pain relief (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Relaxation (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Circulation (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
Pad placement - elbow pain
Settings for Mode, Intensity, Time and Repeat frequency
Everyone has a different level of skin resistance; therefore we cannot specify an exact intensity setting for you. Simply choose a level of intensity where you can feel the stimulation but ensure it is below a level of discomfort. See the table below for examples.
The body should definitely not twitch or spasm. So long as you avoid muscle contraction, you cannot overdose.
|Acute pain||BLOCK||Medium||30 minutes||as required|
|Chronic pain||RELIEVE||Low to medium||Minimum 60 minutes||as required|
|Nagging pain||RELIEVE||Low||Overnight||as required|
|Relaxation||RELAX||Low||Minimum 2 hours||as required|
|Circulation||RELAX or RELIEVE||Low||60 minutes||when practical|