Many headaches are caused by tension of neck or shoulder muscles
Some headaches are caused by tension held in the jaw, neck, back or shoulder muscles. If you suffer from this type of headache, the first thing to try is relaxation of those muscles. E.g.:
- Slacken the jaw and slightly open your mouth
- Open the mouth wide and yawn a few times
- Do stretching exercises for the neck or upper back
- Try shoulder rolls and shrugs or windmill your arms
- Consciously move your shoulders down and back, creating as much space as possible between your ears and your shoulders
ActivBody TENS therapy
If the pain from a tension headache persists after these manual attempts to ease muscle tightness, then you may consider TEN therapy. The purpose of the therapy is to release the muscle tension, which will then relieve the pain.
ActivBody is the physical therapy product we suggest for tension related headache.
ActivBody electrotherapy can be used everyday - outside the clinic - for drug-free, on-demand pain relief, relaxation and easing of tight, tense muscles.
For most people, the sensation of TENS therapy on tense muscles is immediately comforting. Longer lasting results are achieved if the unit is left on for 60 minutes or more.
- RELIEVE mode:
- Fast and lasting pain relief (modulated low and high frequency TENS; continuous, comfortable intensity)
- Circulation and reduced stiffness (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
- BLOCK mode:
- Fast acting pain relief (modulated high frequency TENS for pain gating effect)
- Release of serotonin, if applied for long enough
- RELAX mode
- Lasting pain relief (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Relaxation (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Circulation (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)