Osteoarthritis - chronic knee injury
Causes of knee pain
Some of the most common reasons for knee pain are swollen or torn ligaments, cartilage tears and runner's knee (pain behind or around the knee cap). But the knee is a complex joint and there's plenty more that can go wrong. Other conditions that cause knee pain include:
- Bone chips
- Over-use injury
If an old knee injury was not properly treated, it may keep causing occasional - even constant - knee pain.
The two main causes of chronic knee pain are osteoarthritis and an old knee injury.
Patello-femoral pain syndrome (runner's knee)
if you suffer from patello-femoral pain syndrome you will feel pain behind the kneecap. The usual cause is abnormal movement of the kneecap as the knee is bent and straightened. This can lead to wear and tear of the cartilage on the back of the kneecap. The pain usually comes on gradually over time.
ActivBody TENS therapy
After a diagnosis of chronic or degenerative knee pain, your pain management plan will include several methods of pain relief and should offer drug-free options.
ActivBody is the TENS machine we suggest for chronic knee pain.
ActivBody electrotherapy can be used everyday - outside the clinic - for drug-free, on-demand pain relief, reduced stiffness, relaxation and circulation,.
ActivBody will help keep you moving.
- RELIEVE mode:
- Fast and lasting pain relief (modulated low and high frequency TENS; continuous, comfortable intensity)
- Circulation and reduced stiffness (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
- BLOCK mode:
- Fast acting pain relief (modulated high frequency TENS for pain gating effect)
- Release of serotonin, if applied for long enough
- RELAX mode
- Lasting pain relief (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Relaxation (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Circulation (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
We conducted a survey of 320 customers with knee pain.
Only 2% of them did not achieve satisfactory pain relief using our TENS machine.
Pad placement - knee pain
Settings for Mode, Intensity, Time and Repeat frequency
Everyone has a different level of skin resistance; therefore we cannot specify an exact intensity setting for you. Simply choose a level of intensity where you can feel the stimulation but ensure it is below a level of discomfort. See the table below for examples.
The body should definitely not twitch or spasm. So long as you avoid muscle contraction, you cannot overdose.
|Acute pain||BLOCK||Medium||30 minutes||as required|
|Chronic pain||RELIEVE||Low to medium||Minimum 60 minutes||as required|
|Nagging pain||RELIEVE||Low||Overnight||as required|
|Relaxation||RELAX||Low||Minimum 2 hours||as required|
|Circulation||RELAX or RELIEVE||Low||60 minutes||when practical|