Nerve pain may be shooting, stabbing, burning, sharp or sudden
What is nerve pain?
Pain is normally felt when sensory nerve endings detect that something is wrong with the body and send pain signals to the spinal cord and brain. BUT nerve pain is different to this.
Neuropathic pain or nerve pain occurs when the nerves themselves are damaged by disease or injury. They misfire and send pain signals to the brain in a random fashion - when there is no reason to give a warning signal.
Damage can occur to nerves in the brain, the spinal cord or located throughout the body.
Possible causes of nerve pain
- Nerve compression
- Nerve invasion
- Metabolic conditions
Types of nerve pain
- Sciatica - caused by compression of the sciatic nerve as it exits the sacroiliac joint
- Diabetic neuropathy - usually experienced in the ankles and feet; accompanied by very poor circulation
- Post herpetic neuralgia - this is pain after having shingles; there are many parts of the body that can be affected
- Fibromyalgia - widespread pain and tenderness in the body, often accompanied by fatigue
- Trigeminal neuralgia - damage to the trigeminal nerve in the face; can be excruciating
- Complex regional pain syndrome - a painful condition of the arm, hand, leg or foot, which may occur after an injury
ActivBody TENS therapy
After a diagnosis of acute or chronic nerve pain, your pain management plan will include several methods of pain relief and should offer drug-free options.
ActivBody is the physical therapy product we suggest for nerve pain.
ActivBody electrotherapy can be used everyday - outside the clinic - for drug-free, on-demand pain relief, relaxation and circulation, plus it will help keep you moving.
- RELIEVE mode:
- Fast and lasting pain relief (modulated low and high frequency TENS; continuous, comfortable intensity)
- Circulation and reduced stiffness (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)
- BLOCK mode:
- Fast acting pain relief (modulated high frequency TENS for pain gating effect)
- Release of serotonin, if applied for long enough
- RELAX mode
- Lasting pain relief (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Relaxation (modulated low frequency TENS for release of beta-endorphins)
- Circulation (modulated low to medium frequency ECS; continuous, low intensity)