SportsMed has 30 intensity settings for every function
The world's smallest and most powerful TENS, ECS and EMS machine
Information for the SportsMed medical device
SportsMed may be used to help with pain relief, injury healing and rehabilitation of the following types of (diagnosed) musculoskeletal injuries:
- Bruising (contusion, haematoma)
- Bursitis (inflammation of bursa)
- Contracture (fasciitis)
- Delayed onset muscle soreness
- Dislocation (subluxation)
- Fracture (with soft tissue damage)
- Ligament sprain (over-stretch tear)
- Muscle strain (tear)
- Oedema (excess fluid, effusion)
- Neuralgia (damaged nerve)
- Painful stiffness (adhesive capsulitis)
- Pinched nerve (nerve compression)
- Tendonitis (inflammation of tendon)
- Tendon strain (tear)
- Tenosynovitis (peritendinitis, inflammation of the synovial sheath)
Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods (ARTG) listing number #174871
Modes of operation and electrode placement
- RELIEVE - TENS at site of pain or same dermatome
- RECOVER - ECS at site of injury
- EXERCISE - EMS over muscle mass
A detailed specification is available here.
Pain Relief - RELIEVE MODE
SportsMed offers sufferers of diagnosed injury a first option pain management therapy, using comfortable and effective frequencies of electrical nerve stimulation. Use the RELIEVE mode for a combination of pain gating effect and beta-endorphin release.
This mode can be used on demand - for as long and often as necessary.
Electrodes are placed over sensory nerves at the site of injury or on the same dermatome; muscles should not twitch or contract.
Injury Recovery - RELIEVE and RECOVER MODES
After diagnosis, an enhanced and more rapid healing process is brought about through the combined benefits of the RELIEVE and RECOVER modes to help achieve:
- Increased cellular activity; removal of excess fluid and waste material
- Increased circulation of blood, bringing oxygen and nutrients to the injury site
- Adequate mobilization of muscles and joints, to prevent stiffness or scar tissue
Accelerated recovery from injury requires:
- Frequent therapy applications - at least every day
- Treatment duration times of up to one hour per day
Electrodes are placed at the site of the injury; a mild muscle contraction on RECOVER mode is acceptable; there must be no muscle contraction on RELIEVE mode.
Rehabilitation and Strength - EXERCISE MODE
One of the best benefits of SportsMed is that it can be used to avert muscle atrophy, without additional pain or destabilization, while the body is resting an injured site.
Further re-strengthening of muscle is also important in rehabilitation and prevention of an injury recurrence. For example, strong leg muscles help to prevent injuries to the knees or ankles. EXERCISE may also be applied to major muscle groups as a means of:
- Restrengthening wasted muscle
- Correcting muscle imbalance
- Re-educating muscles (for example, after a stroke)
- Gaining muscle bulk and increased stamina
Therapy should not be applied for longer than the recommendations - see the table below or speak to your physiotherapist.
Electrodes are placed one at the top of the muscle, the second at the centre of the muscle mass; strong muscle contraction is essential.
SportsMed Technical Specification
- 30 intensity settings
- Maximum output of 60 volts
- Bi-phasic square wave signal
- Pulse width of 200 micro seconds
- Modulation period less than 1 second
- RELIEVE mode - 10 to 50 Hz, no surge
- RECOVER mode - 10 to 35 Hz, 6 seconds ON and 12 seconds OFF
- EXERCISE mode - Constant 50 Hz, 6 seconds ON and 12 seconds OFF
Easy to operate
30 intensity settings
Weighs only 25 gms
Wear while mobile
24 month warranty
Local customer service